Welcome to Free to be Kidz!
Our preschool, located in the Windsor Park Community, is inspired by the Reggio Emilia Approach and guided by the Alberta Early Learning Curriculum Framework. Rather than a method or a set curriculum, the Reggio Approach refers to an ever-evolving set of of community-constructed values and educational theories that are continually translated into high-quality educational practices by educators all over the globe.
We believe that children have a natural capacity to feel wonder when they explore and experience the world around them. As educators, it is our role and responsibility to provide opportunities that will inspire wonder, creativity, and curiosity. As children explore through hands-on activities motivated by curiosity, they develop an intrinsic motivation that leads to a love for lifelong learning. Join us in our exciting pursuit of wonder in our beautiful new space!
With over 20 years teaching experience, proven excellence in delivering a Reggio Emilia inspired program, and a passion for early childhood education, owner and teacher, Karina Carvalho, decided the time was right to combine her passion and expertise in the creation of our exciting new preschool, Free to be Kidz.
Reggio Emilia Philosophy
- Learning is driven by the children’s interests and ideas, and children should participate in what they are learning and the direction that it is taking.
- Children should have opportunities to learn by exploring the world around them in relationship with other children through touching, moving, listening, and observing
- Children should have infinite ways to express themselves, and have access to open-ended materials
- Children are “knowledge bearers,” so rather than being the target of instruction, they should be considered apprentices who are encouraged to share their ideas, hypothesize, question, and discuss
- Children are competent, creative, full of potential, curious, ambitious, and beautiful
Christian Education Philosophy
● He gave each person the capability, gifting and desire to learn, explore, and create
● Children develop these giftings by drawing their attention to God’s creation as they learn through hands-on experiences
● Through stories, discussions, games, songs, and the teachers’ example, we teach Biblical concepts such as:
– loving our neighbour as ourselves and what that tangibly means (i.e. sharing, turn taking, kindness, using our words instead of responding physically in anger, etc.)
– each person is precious, loved, and unique in God’s sight, and therefore we should love one another and treat each other with kindness and respect
Role of Teachers
Co-learners and collaborators with the children and not just instructors
Role of the Environment
Integration of each classroom with the rest of the school and the school with the surrounding community
Role of Parents
Encouraged to participate in the school community through volunteering
Registration is open for September2020-June2021 session, and we are so happy to welcome your child to Free to be Kidz. Please click below and complete the registration form. We will be in touch with you once we have received the online form.
732, 55 Ave SW Calgary, AB – T2V 0G3
(2nd floor of First Evangelical Free Church)
or call (587) 287-8907