Welcome to Free to be Kidz!
Our fully licensed early childhood centre, located in the Windsor Park Community, is inspired by the Reggio Emilia Approach and guided by the Alberta Early Learning Curriculum Framework. Rather than a method or a set curriculum, the Reggio Approach refers to an ever-evolving set of of community-constructed values and educational theories that are continually translated into high-quality educational practices by educators all over the globe.
We believe that children have a natural capacity to feel wonder when they explore and experience the world around them. As educators, it is our role and responsibility to provide opportunities that will inspire wonder, creativity, and curiosity. As children explore through hands-on activities motivated by curiosity, they develop an intrinsic motivation that leads to a love for lifelong learning. In our beautiful, aesthetically pleasing space adorned with the children’s own bright artwork, little hearts and minds are encouraged to soar. Join us in our exciting pursuit of wonder !
Reggio Emilia Philosophy
- Learning is driven by the children’s interests and ideas, and children should participate in what they are learning and the direction that it is taking.
- Children should have opportunities to learn by exploring the world around them in relationship with other children through touching, moving, listening, and observing
- Children should have infinite ways to express themselves, and have access to open-ended materials
- Children are “knowledge bearers,” so rather than being the target of instruction, they should be considered apprentices who are encouraged to share their ideas, hypothesize, question, and discuss
- Children are competent, creative, full of potential, curious, ambitious, and beautiful
Christian Education Philosophy
● He gave each person the capability, gifting and desire to learn, explore, and create
● Children develop these giftings by drawing their attention to God’s creation as they learn through hands-on experiences
● Through stories, discussions, games, songs, and the teachers’ example, we teach Biblical concepts such as:
– loving our neighbour as ourselves and what that tangibly means (i.e. sharing, turn taking, kindness, using our words instead of responding physically in anger, etc.)
– each person is precious, loved, and unique in God’s sight, and therefore we should love one another and treat each other with kindness and respect
732, 55 Ave SW Calgary, AB – T2V 0G3
(2nd floor of First Evangelical Free Church)
or call (587) 287-8907